Did you know: The new Microsoft Office app, which combines Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other productivity features into a single app, is now available for download for both Android and iOS.
– Download for Android phones through the Google Play Store
– Download for iPhones through the App Store
– Support for tablets will come at a later time
How does this affect me?
Anyone can download the Office app and connect to Office 365 just as they would with the existing Word, Excel, and PowerPoint mobile apps. Anyone who has already installed the public preview of the Office app or the Office Mobile app (exclusive to Samsung mobile devices) will receive an automatic update.
The new Office app has all the capabilities of the existing Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps and requires significantly less phone storage than installing all three apps.
– It integrates Lens technology for converting images into editable Word and Excel documents and scanning whiteboards;
– It has an Actions pane for common mobile tasks such as creating and signing PDFs or transferring files between devices; and
– It adds Sticky Notes for capturing ideas on the go.
Microsoft will continue to support and invest in the standalone Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps for customers who wish to continue to use them. Installing the Office app will not affect existing installations of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
What do I need to do to prepare for this change?
Intune needs to be enabled specifically for the Office app.