This article will show the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 20H2 using ConfigMgr. Windows 10 20H2 is the next version of Windows 10 2004. Windows 10 servicing plans can be used to keep windows 10 up to date and the life cycle of Version 20H2 is 05/09/2023 (End Date). Win10 1909 OS version is currently installed on windows 10 machine and we are planning to upgrade OS from 1909 to 20H2. OS upgrade will be handled via SCCM using Feature update. This Windows 10 20H2 upgrade is also known as Windows 10 October 2020 update.
- Servicing stack update for Windows 10, version 2004: September 8, 2020 or a later servicing stack update.
- October 13, 2020 – KB4579311(OS Build 19041.572) or a later cumulative update.
- Online Service Connection Point.
- Enable Specify thread priority for feature updates from Client settings
- Enable Dynamic Update for feature updates from Client settings
- Configure software update point to deploy Windows 10 feature updates if you haven’t done that.
Download Windows 10H2 Feature Update:
- Run the Software Updates Synchronization on site server and monitor wsyncmgr.log file and verify if the updates sync completed. Once Sync completed, Windows 10 20H2 update will be listed under Windows 10 Servicing node.
- Select “Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64” update and right click on the update and click to download the update.
- Download Software Updates Wizard will open and create a new package and provide package name and download location and click Next. In a Distribution Points page, specify distribution points or distribution point groups, Click Next. In a Distribution Settings page, no changes click Next.
- Choose option to download the Windows 10 20H2 updates from internet. Click Next. Please monitor the update download process in Patchdownloader.log and once download completes, Click Close.
- Create the collection to deploy the feature update and add 1909 machines which require OS upgrade.
Deploy Windows 10H2 Feature Update
- Select “Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64” update and choose “GWVD_Europe_OS_Upgrade” collection and proceed with deployment creation.
- Update can be deployed in Available or Required mode. I am going to make the update available so that the update can be installed manually from software center. On Deployment Settings page, choose the type of deployment as Available and select State Message detail Level, choose Only Success and error messages.
- On the scheduling page, choose the software available time as as soon as possible and click Next.
- On user experience page, specify user notification “Display in software center and only show notifications for computer restarts” and click Next.
- On Download settings page, Select download options for this deployment.
- Deployment Options: Do not install software updates. On the Completion page, verify if all settings configured correctly. Click Close to complete deployment creation. the below screenshot shows the update is deployed to the collection.
- Login to the client machine and launch software center and click on Updates. you will see Feature update as Available.
- Click on Install to start the installation process. You will receive message for windows 10 20H2 upgrade and Click on Install
- The installation process will take some time and you will get restart option once the update installed in software center and click ok.
- The system will proceed with configuring update. Once the update is completed, login window will appear and logon to the system.
- You can now see the system has been updated to Version 20H2.
- You can verify SCCM log files and windows logs to update installation process – C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, C:\Windows\Logs\DISM.
For further information, please click HERE to contact our support team.