Did you know: Read receipts is a new Microsoft Teams feature that was originally announced in MC180651, May 2019.
How does this affect me?
– Once the roll-out has started for a tenant, it can take up to two weeks for all users to see the change. Read receipts will now be a part of 1:1 and group chats. Additionally, Read receipts in private chats allow senders to know when a message was read by the recipients.
Note: Read receipts are not ediscoverable.
What do I need to do to prepare for this change?
– Read receipts will be rolled out on by default with admin and user level controls to manage. If you would like your users to choose if they want read receipts on or off then there is no action required.
– If you do not want your user to have read receipts, please change the admin portal value for read receipts to “off”. If you want to require everyone to have read receipts change the value to “everyone”.
To summarize the 3 administrative settings available, now, in the Teams admin center under “messaging”:
– User Preference (DEFAULT): members of the tenant get to decide if they want read receipts ON or OFF. Default within the app is ON. Users can then turn it OFF.
– Everyone: everyone in the tenant will have the feature ON with no option to turn it off.
– Off: no one in the tenant has read receipts nor can they turn it on.